Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mile High Ta' Molly!

We just got back from Colorado today. Ta'Molly and ReeRee went with me on a week long business trip to Denver. I had to make a couple of visits to people in Boulder which is right up against the Rockies and home of the University of Colorado.

I asked Ta'Molly if she'd like to go there. "Do they have a good girl's basketball team? What have they won?"

It is a beautiful campus. Most of the university buildings and dorms have red terracotta roofs.


I arranged for Ta'Molly to take a glider ride up into the Rockies from Boulder. Her mom about freaked out. She tried to talk Ta'Molly out of it and almost succeeded.










I decided it wasn't time to tell her about my sister's skydiving experience. On her supposed first jump the skydiver that left the plane just before her, the chute did not open and she fell to her death. Beth decided not to jump.










When Ta'Molly saw the young woman in the tiny pull-plane position on the runway and the 18 year old kid who looked 12 that was her pilot, she had a few reservations.










Once the plane started pulling the glider, Ta'Molly was already taking pictures.


The plane circled above the airport several times to gain altitude and then headed out over the Rockies to release the lightweight huge wingspread white glider to the winds.










After about 30 minutes of flight on its own, the graceful gull swept down to a smooth landing right in front of ReeRee and I. Ta'Molly had a huge grin on her face. I ran out to meet her as she jumped out of the cockpit. Before I could ask her how she liked the flight she almost shouted out, "Are you going to let me take lessons?"









I guess I am.

No comments: